Name:
Location: Savage, Minnesota, United States

Our family loves to ride bikes and we enjoy doing things together as a family.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Gary Fisher Supercaliber


This bike is a work in progress. Overall I really like the bike, however, I just can't seem to get comfortable on it compared to my hardtail. I think the problem rests in the front of the bike. The front end feels too high which forces me to ride more rearward. The geometry (by my measurements) is very close to the Big Sur hardtail, but the head tube is about 1" longer and the axel to crown height of the Manitou R7 fork is at least 1" longer than the SID. I have already turned the stem over for a neg 6 deg rise and the riser bar has been removed in favor of a flat bar. From a component standpoint the bike is well rounded.


Frame: 2006 Gary Fisher Supercaliber (size M)
Fork: 2006 Manitou R-7 Super 80mm w/lock out
Headset: Cane Creek S-6
Stem: FSA XC140 90mm 6 deg rise
Bar: Answer Hyperlight Carbon Flat 23"
Grips: Ritchey TGV true grips (Foam)
Seat Post: Bontrager ACC 27.2mm x 400mm
Saddle: FSA SLK Carbon/Titanium
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 (hydraulic disk) 160mm
Levers: Avid Juicy Five
Shifters: Shimano LX 9 spd
Rear Deraileur: Shimano XT
Front Deraileur: Shimano LX
Cassette: SRAM PG990 11-32
Chain: Shimano HG73
Wheels: Spinergy Xyclone (Disk)
Seat Post Clamp: Aluminum non quick release
Skewers: Spinergy
Bottom bracket: Bontrager GXP
Cranks: Bontrager GXP
Crank bolts: Steel
Pedals: Time XC Carbon ATAC
Rear Tyre: Hutchinson Pythone NG Airlight w/Stan's
Front Tyre: Hutchinson Pythone NG Airlight w/Stan's
Cables: Shimano (small diameter)



Update (5/7/07)
Received my new Spinergy Xyclone (disk) wheels today and quickly changed over rotors and cassette to give them a try. I absolutely love the set of Spinergies that I have on my hardtail, however they are not disk compatible. Maybe that is part of the reason that I prefer the hardtail. I have them set up initially with tubes to evaluate the Hutchinson Pythons and determine how they perform. On the initial test the wheels performed flawlessly, although I could tell that there was a slight amount of drag initially due to tight seals. I could tell the difference in the compliance of the wheels due to the vibration dampening of the PBO spokes and in conjunction with the large volume tire the ride was exceptionally smooth. The bike handled very well and I am almost at the point where I would feel as confident on the FS as the hardtail on any course. The only real test know is how well it climbs compared to the HT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home